When you hear the word “Caribbean,” what comes to mind? Is it the endless horizon of turquoise water? Or perhaps it’s the intoxicating aroma of island spices wafting through the air? For most of us, the Caribbean is synonymous with paradise—a haven of serenity, a canvas of natural beauty, and a playground for the soul.
One such gem in this tropical wonderland is the Virgin Islands, an archipelago that beckons with promises of adventure, relaxation, and a lifetime of unforgettable memories. Now, let’s talk about where you’ll stay because, believe it or not, your accommodation can make or break your tropical getaway.
But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. We’ve scoured through the best of what the Virgin Islands have to offer to bring you the definitive list of the 13 Best Resorts. Before we dive into our list, let’s cover some basics: The Virgin Islands are divided into the U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI) and the British Virgin Islands (BVI). Each has its own flair and attractions, so we’ve included options from both to give you a well-rounded perspective.
1. Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Set on the idyllic island of Virgin Gorda, Rosewood Little Dix Bay offers an unparalleled sense of luxury. Imagine stepping out of your private villa onto a pristine, powdery beach that extends as far as the eye can see. If you think this is a dream, wait until you experience their world-class spa treatments.
Amenities & Activities
- Fine Dining: Choose from multiple on-site restaurants featuring global cuisines.
- Spa: Indulge in a comprehensive list of wellness treatments.
- Water Sports: From snorkeling to paddleboarding, satiate your thirst for aquatic adventures.
Who It’s For
This resort is perfect for those who want to immerse themselves in a universe of extravagance without forgoing a personalized, intimate experience. Whether it’s a honeymoon, an anniversary, or simply a well-deserved break, Rosewood Little Dix Bay promises to make every moment count.
2. The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Situated in the midst of lush greenery and azure waters, The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas is the epitome of elegance. With its attentive service and luxurious surroundings, this resort spells grandeur at every corner.
What Makes It Special
- Eco-Tours: Explore the local marine life with guided snorkeling sessions.
- Yacht Services: A sunset sail, perhaps? Luxury takes a new meaning with their private yacht services.
- Family Activities: Enjoy movie nights, scavenger hunts, and more.
Ideal for Families
This resort is particularly family-friendly, offering a plethora of activities that both children and adults will enjoy.
3. Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
Located on St. Thomas Island, Sugar Bay Resort & Spa offers a budget-friendly option without compromising the quality of your vacation experience. Here, you’ll find an all-inclusive service that’s as delightful as the nearby sandy shores.
- Multiple Pools: Dive into any of the three interconnected freshwater pools.
- All-Inclusive: This feature ensures that your food, drinks, and certain activities are all taken care of.
- Mini-Golf: Yes, you read that right! A 9-hole miniature golf course is available.
While not as opulent as other options, Sugar Bay offers an affordable yet thoroughly enjoyable experience.
4. Bitter End Yacht Club
For the sailing enthusiasts out there, Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda is your dream come true. This resort is unique in that it provides a focus on sailing, complete with its own fleet of boats for guest use.
- Sailing School: Learn the ropes (literally) with experienced instructors.
- Eco-Tours: Take part in guided eco-tours emphasizing local flora and fauna.
- Paddle Expeditions: For a slower pace, try paddleboarding or kayaking through calm lagoons.
Who Should Visit
If your idea of a perfect vacation involves sails, ropes, and the open sea, then look no further.
5. Caneel Bay
Caneel Bay on St. John is for those who love nature. It’s actually situated within the Virgin Islands National Park, and the eco-friendly design of the resort reflects this unique location.
Attractions & Activities
- Hiking: Direct access to scenic trails within the National Park.
- Snorkeling: Explore the underwater world in the designated snorkeling areas.
- Art Classes: Take a break from physical activities and engage in some art therapy.
For the Environmentally Conscious
Not only do you get to bask in nature, but you also contribute to its preservation. Caneel Bay is committed to sustainability and eco-friendly practices.
6. Oil Nut Bay (British Virgin Islands)
The Epitome of Seclusion
If you’re looking for a getaway far removed from the hustle and bustle of daily life, Oil Nut Bay on Virgin Gorda is where you should be headed. Think of it as your private island retreat that’s only accessible by boat or helicopter.
- Cliff Suites: Wake up to panoramic views that’ll take your breath away.
- Personal Chef: Custom-tailor your gastronomic experiences to your heart’s content.
- Yoga Retreats: Engage in wellness retreats to renew your body and soul.
Ideal for Couples
The secluded nature of the resort makes it ideal for couples seeking a romantic escape. Every moment here whispers privacy and intimacy.
7. Scrub Island Resort
A privately owned island, Scrub Island Resort provides an experience that feels straight out of a storybook. Surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, it offers unmatched beauty.
What Stands Out
- Marina: A fully-equipped, modern marina for yachting aficionados.
- Water Slides: A fun addition for both kids and adults.
- Gourmet Dining: A mix of local and international flavors to satiate your palate.
Whether you’re a family, a couple, or a solo traveler, Scrub Island Resort has something for everyone.
8. Peter Island Resort
Peter Island Resort offers a customizable experience, allowing you to choose from private villas, beachfront suites, and ocean view rooms.
- Cycling: Rent a bike to explore the island’s winding roads.
- Private Beaches: Choose from five different private beaches for a solitary experience.
- Wine Room: Enjoy a curated selection of international wines.
For Those Who Want Choice
If you value having multiple options to tailor your stay, Peter Island Resort is perfect for you.
9. Gallows Point Resort
Located on St. John, Gallows Point Resort offers self-catering oceanfront suites that give you the freedom to craft your vacation just the way you want it.
Why Choose Gallows
- Grocery Delivery: Get fresh ingredients delivered to your suite.
- Kitchenettes: Each suite comes with a fully equipped kitchen.
- Coral Reefs: Snorkel right off the beach to explore stunning coral formations.
Perfect for Extended Stays
This resort is excellent for travelers who enjoy longer stays and the freedom to cook their meals.
10. Frenchman’s Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Frenchman’s Reef in St. Thomas offers the trusted service and amenities one can expect from the Marriott brand. It strikes the perfect balance between local charm and international standards.
The Best Parts
- Infinity Pools: Swim with views that stretch into infinity.
- Adventure Activities: Go parasailing, jet-skiing, or deep-sea fishing.
- Spa: A full-service spa to pamper yourself.
Business & Leisure
If you’re in the Virgin Islands for business, this resort offers excellent conference facilities without sacrificing leisure amenities.
11. Saba Rock Resort
This is the spot for scuba diving enthusiasts. Located in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda, Saba Rock offers some of the best diving sites in the Virgin Islands.
- Dive Shop: An on-site shop for all your diving needs.
- Guided Tours: Discover the local marine life with expert guides.
- Fish Feeding: Participate in the daily fish-feeding spectacle.
Not Just for Divers
Even if you don’t dive, you can enjoy the exceptional sea views, fine dining, and beautiful rooms.
12. Guana Island Resort
Looking for an unplugged vacation? Guana Island Resort offers a digital detox experience like no other, all set on a private island.
- Isolation: With a limited number of rooms, you’ll feel like you have the island to yourself.
- Nature Walks: Explore 850 acres of untouched terrain.
- Organic Cuisine: Freshly sourced ingredients for all meals.
Simplicity at its Best
This is the place for those who want to disconnect and get closer to nature.
13. Wyndham Margaritaville St. Thomas
If you’re in the mood for an energetic, lively vacation, Wyndham Margaritaville is your go-to. Located in St. Thomas, this resort is inspired by the songs and lifestyle of Jimmy Buffett.
Why It’s Unique
- Nightlife: Enjoy live music, beach parties, and multiple bars.
- Outdoor Cinema: Watch movies under the stars.
- Theme Rooms: Each room pays homage to Jimmy Buffett’s songs.
For the Young at Heart
This resort is perfect for those who want a fun, energetic atmosphere coupled with beachside enjoyment.
Why the Virgin Islands is a Must-Visit Destination
If the Caribbean is a treasure trove of tropical wonders, then the Virgin Islands are its most dazzling jewels. Scattered across the turquoise canvas of the Caribbean Sea, this archipelago serves as a playground for adventurers, a sanctuary for nature lovers, and a haven for those seeking serenity. Why is the Virgin Islands a must-visit destination, you ask? Here are just a few reasons why you should mark this location for your next vacation trip.
1. It Is a Canvas of Colors and Textures
A Palette of Blues
The Virgin Islands boast a myriad of blues that look as though they’ve been borrowed straight from an artist’s palette. From the cerulean sky to the azure waters, the variations of blue are so mesmerizing that they appear almost poetic. Dive deeper into the ocean, and you’ll find coral reefs teeming with life, their colors rivaling any masterpiece hanging in a gallery.
Lush Green Landscapes
Don’t let the water steal all your attention; the islands are home to vibrant landscapes characterized by lush foliage and unique flora. Imagine hiking through trails filled with the fragrant scents of exotic plants, your journey culminating in panoramic views of rolling hills meeting the endless sea.
2. You Will Experience the Pinnacle of Hospitality
As you’ve seen in our meticulously curated list of resorts, luxury in the Virgin Islands is not merely a word—it’s an experience. From private yachts to personal chefs, the islands offer a host of opportunities for you to indulge in the finer things in life.
Fine Dining and World-Class Amenities
Imagine enjoying a glass of vintage champagne as you watch the sunset over the Caribbean horizon, followed by a dinner prepared by a Michelin-starred chef. This is not a scene from a movie; it’s an everyday occurrence when you’re vacationing in the Virgin Islands.
3. It Is a Melting Pot of Cultures
Vibrant History and Heritage
From pirate legends to the rich blend of African, European, and indigenous influences, the Virgin Islands offer a fascinating glimpse into a complex and layered history. Visit historical sites, engage with local storytelling, and let yourself be immersed in the stories that these islands have to tell.
Taste your way through the islands and experience the rich culinary landscape that includes everything from traditional Caribbean fare to global gastronomic delights. Whether it’s a local food stall selling freshly caught seafood or a high-end restaurant offering fusion cuisine, your taste buds are in for an adventure.
4. You Will Get Your Adrenaline Pumping
Water Sports and Activities
Whether it’s snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, or paddleboarding, the Virgin Islands offer an exhaustive list of water activities for thrill-seekers. Explore underwater caves, swim alongside sea turtles, or catch some waves; the islands are an adventurer’s dream come true.
If you think the fun is limited to water, think again. The islands offer a plethora of land-based activities like hiking, mountain biking, and zip-lining. Reach new heights, both literally and metaphorically, as you explore this adventurous side of paradise.
The Caribbean Virgin Islands are not just a destination; they are a mood, an aspiration, a tropical state of mind. With a multitude of choices ranging from uber-luxurious to eco-friendly, from family-centric to ideal for couples, your perfect resort awaits.
Whether you’re planning a wedding, a honeymoon, a family vacation, or a solo adventure, the Virgin Islands offer a slice of paradise for every type of traveler.